I love spicy chicken. But sometimes I want something different to a curry style chicken. And that’s where jerk comes in. The heat that comes from a curry is ‘adorned’ with flavours; cumin, turmeric, coriander. But jerk gives a more fiery hit. It’s all about that scotch bonnet!!
Now, admittedly, I like an easy life and easy cooking. Why complicate things? So I buy my jerk paste. I use only one brand, ‘Dunn’s River, Jamaican Jerk Seasoning’. I’ve tried many, but so far, this gives the best flavour. As soon as you open the jar, the smell just captivates you!
If you want to make the paste, please do. In fact, if you have a good recipe, let me know. I’d love to try it!
This recipe is super easy, as most of mine are!
6 Pieces Chicken Quarters (I opt for legs) Skin on
3 Tbsp. Yoghurt
3 Tbsp Jerk Paste (Add more if you want more heat)
2 Tbsp Oil
3 Tbsp Tomato Puree
2 Tsp Minced Ginger Paste
2 Tsp Minced Garlic Paste
- Take all the ingredients, apart from the chicken pieces and place in a metal bowl. Mix together to make a marinade.
- Wash your chicken thoroughly, then add to your marinade. Ensure all the chicken is fully coated.
- Cover and place your chicken in the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Pre heat your oven to 185c.
- Lay your chicken onto a baking tray then place in the oven and cook for 40 minutes.
- For the last 10 minutes, I like to turn the grill on to get the chicken a little charred.
And there you have it guys. Jamaican style Jerk chicken!!
Enjoy this with Jamaican Style Rice and Peas!