Sometimes when I’m in a rush, all I want is to whip up a quick lunch that my toddler can eat easily and will enjoy! As a bonus, this recipe is egg free!
This version of mac n’ cheese is so easy, so delicious and so versatile, because you can adapt it according to what you have at home as well as what you child loves. I add chicken to the traditional recipe, for a little extra protein. And because it makes it delicious! I also used grated carrot and spring onions in mine to use up what I had in the fridge. If there was any broccoli that would definitely have gone in. My son and I both love this, especially when I serve it with a simple salad or garlic bread.
I like a little heat in my food, so when I make up my portion, I sprinkle some red chilli flakes over it. When the cheese is still hot, this melts right in!! Yumm!
Let’s get started.
I cup macaroni 1 chicken breast
1 heaped tsp dried Italian herbs 100g breadcrumbs
3 tbsp. olive oil 1/2 tsp paprika (optional)
I medium tomato 1/2 tsp salt
2 spring (green) onions 100g cream cheese
150g grated cheese
1. Preheat your oven to 180c.
2. Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions. When done, drain well and leave aside.
3. Heat your oil in a pan and when it’s hot add your diced chicken breast. Heat until all the chicken is cooked through.
4. Add the salt, chopped spring onion, grated carrot and chopped tomato. Let this cook a little until the tomato has softened. I add the salt at the beginning to help the tomato break down.
5. Once the tomato is soft, add your paprika, mixed herbs and cream cheese.
6. Cook for a few minutes to let the cheese soften and all the ingredients blend together.
7. Finally add your cooked and drained macaroni.
8. Butter your baking dish and then place your macaroni mix into it.
9. Sprinkle over cheese (I use cheddar) and panko breadcrumbs.
10. Cook in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the top begins to brown and bubble.