After working all week, weekends are about being lazy, indulgent breakfasts and doing fun stuff with my son. So this weekend I decided to combine it all by making a delicious breakfast with Chicco. We made egg free mini pancakes that are so yummy and small enough to just eat in one bite! We’re greedy like that! This was a simple enough recipe where he could help with the mixing of the batter. We made a bit of a mess, but it was fun and anything that keeps him happy is good in my books!
To get my mini pancakes the right shape, I used a pan I picked up a few years ago from the Williams Sonoma outlet store in Florida. I’ve never seen these sold in the UK so when I found it, it was so unusual I had to have it! It’s called an ‘ebelskiver filled pancake pan’. As the name suggests, they’re used to make little dumpling like desserts filled with, anything really. I’ve used it to make both sweet and savoury recipes.
This is the link to the product on their site. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/ebelskiver-filled-pancake-pan
For this recipe, you can use a normal flat griddle or frying pan and make the pancakes a little larger, which is how I would normally make it. This makes about 24 mini pancakes.
Mini egg free pancakes
2 self-raising flour 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp sugar 3 tbsp oil
½ tsp cinnamon ½ tsp vanilla essence
2 cups milk I mashed banana (best when it’s very ripe) – optional
1. Heat the griddle on the stove. I started by putting the heat up to high and when it was hot enough, I lowered the heat down to medium. You know it’s hot enough when water dropped on the griddle rolls off.
2. Mix together the flour, sugar and cinnamon.
3. Add the milk, water, oil, vanilla and mashed banana. (I’ve made this without banana before and it comes out ok.
4. Mix well, but don’t over stir. A few lumps are fine.
5. Drop a full tablespoon into each section. If using a normal flat griddle, use a quarter cup of batter for each pancake.
6. After a few minutes, flip each pancake to cook on each side.
7. Keep the heat at medium to low whilst you cook the pancakes .
We had our with some fresh cream and sliced strawberries! They were delicious and disappeared pretty quick!!